Thursday 15 December 2011

A tutorial....of sorts

The dress that I make for dolls is designed in such a way that it fits many different types of dolls, for example, it fits my My Child doll, my daughters Miss Corolle doll and it also fits Baby Born and Baby Annabel dolls.


I need to be able to display the dresses to their full potential without labelling them to any one brand of doll.  I have some beautiful hangers which I use but I thought a mannequin or dressform would be perfect.  However such things are not readily available here in the UK,  so I made my own!



Reading on the interent I discovered a macabre idea to use an old mug tree and a decapitated and limbless doll!  Not liking that idea too much, I compromised and used a mug tree and made a body using fabric and wool.  It was quite simple to do, remove all of the bottom and one of the top cup holders, cut down two of the top ones and then sew the body in place.

Navy and Liberty pinafore with capped sleeves

Red cord sleeveless pinafore


I am happy with the results and while cord is difficult to photograph I think the stand looks much better dressed!  What do you think?


The Dolls Dressmaker


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! I have little girls here who like making their own doll clothes out of fabric scraps and wool felt. Our oldest wanted a dress form...this would do so nicely. -heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it really was quite easy. The hardest part was finding the mug-tree!

    ReplyDelete