Sunday 13 May 2012

Possibly zero willpower...


Not very long ago I wrote a little post about Blythe dolls and how I wasn't going to shell out on one of those pricey dolls. In my defence I still haven't but I did find out about clone Blythe dolls (via Pinterest) and found a seller in the UK selling Basaak dolls, which are copies, I suppose, of the Blythe doll. Now as I understand it there are some very contentious issues about these dolls but what appealed to me about the "proper" Blythes was their DIY appeal. However there was no way was I about to spend well over £100 on a doll that I was going to take to bits and very possibly not be able to put back together!

So I caved and bought a Basaak from a UK seller on Ebay,




Work very quickly started, so much so I forgot to take a picture of her before I took her to bits! She was very easy to deconstruct and again I forgot to take note so I wouldn't have problems putting her back together!

I started by sand matting her face using Oakley contour sanding pads, extra and super fine.





I then removed her eyelashes and replaced them with fake lashes bought at Boots. Next I repainted her face with artists chalks and paints and then sealed her face with matt spray varnish.

Her hair and her eyes are still in progress. I have removed one pair of chips, using an awl and a pair of tweezers (and ended up with a sore arm!) and am waiting for some new chips to arrive. Her hair is the biggest issue, I wasn't that pleased with her strawberry blonde wig and would prefer darker hair. As my daughter quickly wanted in on the act I bought another doll (see how my willpower is useless in the face of toys?) and so bought one with dark hair.




The second doll arrived quickly too but her hair is worse than the first.  As I wanted to give the second doll pink (eek) hair I will need to re-root one scalp but now I might have to re-root two?  Hmm maybe not. 



I have however made dolls clothes, three dresses in fact.  Very satisfying using up Liberty scraps and they make up so quickly.



The dolls bodies are another issue and I am looking into getting a different body for the second doll. 

The dolls were easy to take apart and so far easy to put back together, the second doll has a problem with her eyelids refusing to stay open but I am sure with some research I will be able to fix that.

The internet is a very wonderful thing and I couldn't have done all this with out some amazing tutorials mostly this one and of course Pinterest which inspired me!

I can't imagine that work will progress quickly now as I am taking a looong time to work out which colour hair to order!  But I have had a lot of fun with these dolls!

The Dolls Dressmaker

No comments:

Post a Comment